The Most Creative Resume I’ve Seen In Years

Posted by on Dec 21, 2008 in Creativity, Featured, Future Of Media | 57 Comments

I get sent resumes every week and since the financial turmoil kicked in a few months ago, the number of resumes coming in has increased noticeably.  This week, I received one that I will not soon forget and thought it was worth sharing here (with permission!).

Creative vs Standard Resumes.

There’s always a great debate in resume-writing-land about how unique and creative to be with your C.V.   You want to stand out from the crowd, but you don’t want to come across as a showboat, an egomaniac, or a weirdo.  Some will say anything you can do to get noticed is good, from using coloured paper to having it couriered directly to the hiring decision maker (so they have to sign for it, will open it themselves instead of H.R., etc).

Others will say that you need to be professional, stick to standard formatting, and make yourself stand out with a customized version of your resume tailored to the particular position you’re applying for.   I’ve seen both work and have hired people with each type of resume.

As a rule of thumb, though, plain resumes are generally tougher to distinguish from other plain resumes.  And when you get a brilliant, creative resume like the one I’m going to show you, you won’t forget the person today, tomorrow, or next year when you’ve got the right position for them.

Success and Failure with Creative Resumes

About 10 years ago, I had a lot of success by using this site’s URL to host what was at the time very new – an online video demo reel.  I got so sick of dubbing and sending tapes that I put the reel online (in a VERY small quicktime window) and instead just gave everyone the link.  Some didn’t like it, but the ones who did were the ones I wanted to work for anyway.  And it helped let potential employers know that I was interested in digital media and was trying out new ideas.

And before I show you the amazing example of a creative resume, I should say that creative resumes can backfire pretty hard, too.  I once had someone applying to be an on-air host send me a giant plastic tube of candy… nice, except that there was  a GIANT, NUDE PHOTO of himself taped to the outside of the tube.  Creative yes.  Instant no for the job?  You bet.

The Most Creative Resume I’ve Seen In Years

So here’s the gold!  Sabrina Saccocio is a TV, radio print and web producer who has put together the perfect eye-grabbing resume for a young, creative type looking for unique and interesting work. Check this out and tell me you’re not impressed…

(I know these JPEGS are small, so you can download the PDF to see all the amazing details.)

sabrina-saccoccio-resume-page-1

sabrina-saccoccio-resume-page-2

How brilliant is this?  She’s taken a format EVERYONE is familiar with – the Facebook profile page – and totally subverted it into a resume.  And the format is perfect for telling a potential employer:

• -Sabrina’s work experience
  • -Her cultural world
  • -Her education
  • -A set of references
  • -Strong testimonials from some recognizable names (Scott Thompson from Kids in the Hall!)
  • -AND this is basically a sample piece of content to evaluate, too

Look at all the ‘intangible’ qualities of Sabrina’s that are revealed, too:

• -She’s creative
  • -She’s got a sense of great sense of humour (check out the event listing: ‘plans to apply for a new position’)
  • -She can grab people’s attention
  • -She can create memorable content
  • -She’s active in social media and obviously understands it

Personalized For Me

And it’s customized, too: the reason Sabrina sent it to me was an inquiry about employment at Radio 3.  If you check out her favourite music, radio, and digital TV sections, it’s full of Radio 3-type bands and even includes our video podcast R3TV.  I hope it’s true that she loves the Radio 3 stuff this much, but even if it’s not, just having it on the resume goes WAY farther than 99% of other job applicants to show that she’s familiar with our programming and our music universe.

She has even included a ‘viral’ section for web content she’s created.  (I’m predicting that this resume may soon have to be added to the ‘viral’ list…  it certainly got me excited enough to blog about it!).

If there’s anyone out there in the media who ISN’T under a hiring freeze right now, check out Sabrina.  I know she’s at the top of my list of candidates… once the hiring freeze is over  🙁

What’s are the best and worst resumes you’ve ever seen?

Have you ever taken a big risk on your own resume?

Any other resume do’s and don’t’s?

57 Comments

1. John
    December 21, 2008

It is fantastic, for sure. Trouble is, now you’re going to see an influx of the same thing. Thankfully for her, she’s going to be remembered as the first.

I thought, however, we’d agreed to never talk about about my plastic candy tube/nude photo/job application I sent… *puzzled*

What I’d like to see is your old demo reel. I bet even for being 10 years ago, it’s still pretty great, considering the kind of humour and creativity I see coming out of you now.

p.s. My resume… I never have time to do what I want to do with it, but then again I am famously happy where I am at, and not really looking either.

2. John
    December 21, 2008

3. Jeremy
    December 21, 2008

Damn high bar setters! Makes me want to crawl under a pile of my unopened, manila-envelope, plain-paper resumes and ride out the recession.

4. Jeremy
    December 21, 2008

5. Graham MacD
    December 22, 2008

Sabrina’s awesome!!

6. Graham MacD
    December 21, 2008

Sabrina’s awesome!!

7. W.T.
    December 22, 2008

Very cool resume, but… is she a-okay with having her address and phone number posted for all to see? Just wonderin’.

8. W.T.
    December 22, 2008

• Steve Pratt
      December 23, 2008

Hi W.T.
      I did indeed ask if it was okay with Sabrina and her references to have this posted and got the okay. Hopefully the contact info will help get a great new gig!
      Steve

9. W.T.
    December 22, 2008

• Steve Pratt
      December 22, 2008

Hi W.T.
      Steve

10. Scott Muc
    December 24, 2008

For a second there I thought that was an actual Facebook Profile!

At SFU we were always taught to keep resumes simple. With the only bit of flare at the top to grab some attention.

I wonder how far is too far when designing a resume in the context of your skills. What would you think if I made a resume out of C++ code… or *gasp* LISP code? Geeks would laugh at it, but how would HR treat it?

11. Scott Muc
    December 24, 2008

For a second there I thought that was an actual Facebook Profile!

12. Scott Muc
    December 24, 2008

For a second there I thought that was an actual Facebook Profile!

13. sample employment references | Digg hot tags
    December 27, 2008

[…] Vote The Most Creative Resume I’ve Seen In Years […]

14. Erin G
    December 29, 2008

Love this!
    Thanks for sharing.
    So great to see such gutsy creativity.

15. Erin G
    December 29, 2008

Love this!
    Thanks for sharing.
    So great to see such gutsy creativity.

16. Buffy McGaw
    February 21, 2009

Yes, thank you for sharing! Got me to thinking about my resume again for sure.
    I did give something different like this a try when I applied for a gig at the comedy network. (showed others what I was doing before sending it, to get reactions, and they laughed their asses off.) But alas, I never got a call.
    Oh well, I gave it a whirl anyway, you never know until you try.
    That’s my time, you’ve been a great audience.

17. Buffy McGaw
    February 22, 2009

Yes, thank you for sharing! Got me to thinking about my resume again for sure.
    Oh well, I gave it a whirl anyway, you never know until you try.
    That’s my time, you’ve been a great audience.

18. Jen
    February 22, 2009

Oh, look at me, I know Sook Yin Lee!
    Over it.

19. Jen
    February 21, 2009

Oh, look at me, I know Sook Yin Lee!
    Over it.

20. Mark Donovan
    March 3, 2009

Hey everyone! here’s a list of 20 really cool creative resumes that I came across a few weeks ago:

21. Mark Donovan
    March 3, 2009

22. Justin K.
    May 4, 2009

There is a danger of too much personal information in this. I personally found out things about her that would be a red flag, in trying to fit her into our production team. If she is so willing to share them before she gets the job, imagine what she will be like once she gets the job? TMI.

23. Justin K.
    May 4, 2009

24. wimvincken
    March 9, 2010

That's true. But HR is not something known to be creative.
    When I get bored and annoyed with those departments, on purpose I send them 20 pages of resume (after they complained “… too much detail …” or “… too less detail …”

25. wimvincken
    March 9, 2010

Doesn't work anymore.
    Too much personal details? You can get all the details you like in the web. You better can put everything in one place, not?

26. wimvincken
    March 10, 2010

That's true. But HR is not something known to be creative.

27. wimvincken
    March 10, 2010

Doesn't work anymore.

28. May
    March 25, 2010

HR =/= creative?
    At more than one small creative company (and at least two medium-size ones), there hasn’t been the obvious need for a HR director (on the part of the management), so the payroll end of HR was handled by the accountant, and the recruitment/interviewing/etc part of HR was hired by the Marketing & PR Coordinator – me. I would have loved to see someone who actually cared about getting the job as much as this (in a manner related to what we were hiring for of course) instead of the 80th resume that day where someone told me about their excellant attenton to detale or told me that their career goal was to do something unrelated to the position they were applying for.

29. tokao.com » 10 Most Creative Resumes
    March 27, 2010

[…] Sabrina Saccocio is a TV, radio print and web producer who has put together a great eye-grabbing resume, looking for a unique and interesting work, a Facebook resume. (Link) […]

30. Un resume altfel | Cine Sunt ?
    March 29, 2010

[…] oddee, stevepratt, talentterminal, […]

31. Middle East Jobs
    April 10, 2010

Finding a job in Dubai is not very hard, but it’s not very easy as well. The job market here works very differently from other places. So if you are aware of those differences and work your way accordingly, you have a better chance of finding a good job in Dubai.

32. lowongan kerja
    April 12, 2010

That is fantastic, is it really real resume? Or just photoshop by someone.
    If it is real, this person must be easy to get the job that she want 😀

33. stevepratt
    April 12, 2010

It's a real resume that Sabrina uses to apply for jobs – it's not her actual Facebook page, though. She's had an amazing amount of good feedback on it. Pretty smart and creative!

34. There is learning in repetition: what cover letter writing has taught me about myself «
    April 19, 2010

[…] this girl, featured over on Steve Pratt’s blog (of CBC Radio 3 fame) – Sabrina didn’t get […]

35. dohanley
    April 22, 2010

Wow, what a neat resume. I've been struggling with the decision between using a standard format or going with something more creative for my own.

Thanks for this post – will definitely inspire me to take some more risks with mine!

36. Louise Mangan
    April 22, 2010

Thanks for sharing this, Steve. Brilliant resume indeed. (btw, I have a great picture of you from the pre-grammy gathering at Bob H's — I'll send it to you.) Hope you are well, and that we see you sometime soon!

37. stevepratt
    April 23, 2010

Thanks, Louise. Would love to see the pic. Hope to see you soon, too!

38. Marco Garcia
    May 14, 2010

It's not creative at all, I would say, trendylike, based on imitation rather than creativity… Pretty much a no-brainer. Some untalented designers use the euphemism “vintage” or “homage” to cover their lack of imagination to develop concepts.

• crazylove
      March 27, 2011

Your perspective of creative is messed up. Making new ideas is wise, but using an idea and making SOMETHING ELSE out of it is wiser. It’s far from imitation but rather a humorous spoof of a familiar layout.

39. Count Clement II
    May 23, 2010

Thanks for this article. I guess I need to follow the creative resume for my C.V. Project just like Sabrina Saccocio. She is indeed creative. Two thumbs up for her and for this post.

Greetings from the Philippines!

Count Clement II

40. Marco Polo
    June 4, 2010

Your a idiot Marco what a stupid name Marco Probably a 50 year old fat sloppy virgin.

41. cw
    June 11, 2010

Steve, it's great that you confirmed with Sabrina re: posting contact information but I would still caution you and her to remove the contact info (blur or black out). Better safe than sorry and identify thief (or worse) is a real issue. Email address is all we need to know if we want to contact her for a job.

42. guest
    June 15, 2010

it's very good. I think the icing on the cake is that it's instantly familiar (for anyone who uses facebook that is) so employers dont have to figure out where everything is.

43. Boooring
    June 24, 2010

am I supposed to be impressed of a fricking facebook page?? gee… really amazing -.- please go back to facebook and stay there

• RandyLahey
      January 14, 2011

your a prick

44. ashea
    July 20, 2010

I get how the author was not only refreshed, but delighted by this resumé. It didn't appeal to me when I first saw it online a couple of weeks ago, but I did think that it would be perfect for a related position. However, after seeing the second page for the first time in this post and hearing how it does apply to the position and the way she tweaked everything to the reader, I think it's great!

Separately: I had to go back corporate from the real estate industry in 2007 and I DIDN'T take a huge risk, just used different fonts. I am artistic and technical, so very aware of spacing and readability (it wasn't just all over the place), however an insider told me that my resumé was extremely impressive, but to change the whole thing to Arial (font). LOL At first I thought my endeavor was unsuccessful, but after getting the job and after others gave me feedback, I realized that that boss simply liked things to be one way and one way only — even if she thought what you did was cool or just as effective. Bleh. Just thought I'd share.

45. 10 Most Creative Resumes « Khurram Nazir's Blog
    September 7, 2010

[…] Sabrina Saccocio is a TV, radio print and web producer who has put together this creative resume, looking for a unique and interesting work, a Facebook resume. (Link) […]

46. 10 Most Creative Resumes | NONGYEEN
    September 30, 2010

[…] Sabrina Saccocio is a TV, radio print and web producer who has put together this creative Facebook resume. […]

47. Www Cvtemplate Net
    November 30, 2010

Wow! this was most perfect of all! thanks for sharing this with me..lovely resume..

PA CV Template

48. Rkaponm
    January 22, 2011

Yeah that is cool, is it a print out or does she give them a link? I paid these guys to make mine, they did a cool job since I don’r know how OrangeResume.com

49. 21 SUPERB Resources For Facebook For Job Hunting | Barbara Ling, Your Outrageous Virtual Coach
    April 13, 2011

[…] The Most Creative Resume I’ve Seen In Years […]

50. Ali Ghaemi - Resumes That Are Not Bland
    July 12, 2011

[…] Sabrina Saccoccio Sabrina Saccoccio is a journalist […]

51. Augustin Duval
    July 25, 2011

Look at this other Facebook resume by a french student ! http://www.iwebya.fr/resume

52. Curriculums creativos | Pisito en Madrid
    November 24, 2011

[…] con Sabrina, que aunque no ha conseguido que su CV fuera su perfil de Facebook, a nivel de diseño está muy […]